Hints for Parents to Help
Their Child Love to Read
Below are some helpful hints to get your child reading on a regular basis.
- •Reading 15 – 30 minutes in bed before turning off the lights is not only a great habit to develop but relaxes children so they fall asleep easier.
- •Children need lots of books that are age-appropriate. No one wants to struggle through a book when they are reading for pleasure!
- •Take your children to public libraries and bookstores regularly. Make visiting this your family recreation and eventually part of your “family culture”. Get books on many subjects and make them accessible for your children at all times. Try different genres!
- •Secondhand bookstores, Salvation Army stores, yard sales and Book Events are great places to find reasonably priced books.
- •Always ask questions on a given subject to raise your child’s interest or pique their curiosity before teaching something new.
- •Keep a small basket filled with joke books, magazines, short stories, books of questions and answers, and books like Ripley’s Believe It or Not in each bathroom of your house.
Did you know? Studies done by Publishers’ Weekly confirm that friends and family, especially moms, are the biggest influence on the reading choices of 0-12 year olds.